We want to make your visit to the museum as pleasant and safe as possible. We have put together a few instructions that we hope all our visitors will follow. Come and enjoy art safely!
Come to the museum only in good health – art will wait for you
You are welcome to visit the Ateneum if you are feeling well. If you are ill, stay home until you feel better, and contact a health-care professional, if necessary.
Please note the following when you arrive at the museum
- Find space for yourself and give it to other people when you move around the Ateneum, queue for tickets, or use other services. The Ateneum staff will also keep a safe distance from you.
- You can buy your ticket in advance online at Museoshop.fi. When you arrive at the museum, just show the QR code on the receipt at the ticket office.
- If you buy your ticket at the museum, please use a bank card and contactless payment. Until further notice, we do not recommend using cash as a means of payment.
- You can find a staffed cloakroom behind the main staircase. Alternatively, you can leave your jacket and bags in the storage lockers located in the ticket sales hall and near the cloakroom next to the toilets. There are two sizes of lockers: 24 x 65 x 50 cm and 24 x 33 x 50 cm. The use of the cloakroom and the lockers is free.
- Please follow the signs around the museum. We recommend that you follow the suggested direction in which to explore the exhibitions.
- We recommend using a face mask. You can buy an individually packaged, disposable face mask from our ticket office for €1.
Remember good hand hygiene
- Please observe good hand hygiene. Make sure your hands are clean when you come to the museum, and wash them as necessary or use hand sanitiser.
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow.
- Do not touch the works of art.
- Avoid touching surfaces.
Our staff also pay special attention to good hand hygiene. Our members of staff wear a face mask or a visor in situations where it is not possible to maintain a safe distance.
Neat and clean
We pay special attention to hygiene and cleanliness in all our spaces. All touchable elements have been temporarily removed from the exhibitions. The Ateneum follows the official instructions of the Finnish Government.
Events, guided tours, exhibition intros and workshops
We take care of the safety of the audience and pay attention to hygiene at all our events. Attendance at our events is restricted as follows:
- lectures in the Ateneum Hall, 60 people
- events at the Ateneum Bistro, 60 people
- free and private guided tours, 10 people
- free exhibition intros, 60 people
- private exhibition intros, 20 people
- Saturday workshops, 12 people
- paid workshops, 10 people
- more information about visits by schools
No registration is required for lectures and guided tours. Tickets for clubs and paid workshops are available for advance booking at Museoshop.fi.
Updated 24 September 2020. Changes are possible.
Photo: Finnish National Gallery / Jenni Nurminen